Women in IT 2019


Women in IT Event set for March 29!

Women in Technology logoWe're especially excited for our fourth annual Women in Information Technology (WIT) event on March 29. It will be held in our new:

Scott Community College Urban Campus
101 West Third Street

WIT is a conference specifically for women currently employed in the field. Anyone interested in becoming a student in the world of computers is also welcome to attend! The conference is from 9 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. and will cost $15

Conference Check In begins at 9 a.m. with the Keynote starting at 10 a.m.

Register Online

Keynote Speaker: Somchai Rice

Somchai Rice

What’s in a Name?

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet." - Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare What makes you uniquely you? Can we use machines to identify you based on a set of self-defined characteristics? In our keynote session, we'll explore the idea of identity of self and how it can be used in a machine learning model as a tool for identification.

Somchai Rice is the co-founder and Chief Science Officer of MedBlox, an Iowa based startup company. Ms. Rice is a proponent of women in STEM with a demonstrated record in lab research and development, 15+ peer-reviewed publications, public speaking, and extension and outreach.



Breakout Sessions

Session 1: 11:10 a.m. – 12 p.m.

    • Traci Nelson-Johnson DC, DICCP – Technology Vs. the Body
      The technology we use should NOT cause us pain and tension. Learn how to use phones, laptops and desk top computers efficiently without feeling worn out at the end of the day.

    • Roberta Osmers - Building Social Engineering Awareness
      While most networks are locked down and protected by firewalls, Intrusion Protection Systems (IPS), and other technical methods, only about 3% of malware tries to exploit an exclusively technical flaw. The other 97% target instead users through Social Engineering. Users are known as a system’s weakest link for a reason, and malware writers do all they can to exploit that weak link. So how do we prepare our users for the inevitable? This presentation provides awareness best practices and opens a deeper discussion into awareness education.


Lunch/Networking: Noon - 1 p.m.

Session 2: 1:10 - 2 p.m.

  • Stephanie Macuga – Beyond the Code
    If someone had told me when I was in college, that I would someday be a programmer, I would have laughed and told them "there is no way I would ever be a programmer, I don't have any interest in writing code!" Luckily my path to becoming a programmer has proven to me that programming goes beyond writing code and applications. Programming is an inclusive term that not only includes those traditional thoughts, but also has evolved to include application implementation, third party software configuration and design, project management, and change management. The title may say programmer, but that's just the start of what we do!

  • Jennetta Williams – 2019 Career Tips and Compensation Trends for Women in IT
    This presentation discusses the IT employment landscape for women in the Cedar Rapids/Davenport area. From the state of women in IT today to how to build the career you want, this presentation will discuss in demand skills and specialties, hot jobs, salary negotiation tips and more.


Session 3: 2:10 - 3 p.m.

  • Lori Owens – Women in a Man’s World: Capitalizing on Our Differences
    A Harvard Study showed that Emotional Intelligence was the clearest indicator of success, carrying twice as much weight as IQ and Technical Skills combined. Another study suggests that 75-80% of our success in the workplace is based on our mastery of Soft Skills. Statistically, women are more relational than men. So what does all that mean? It means that women could have an inside track to success if we take the time to develop what comes instinctively to many of us - the desire to connect with others, to nurture, to build relationships. Each one of us comes with a unique set of abilities, character strengths, and personality traits. When we take the time to understand who we are, then develop and lean into our strengths, that is when we have the greatest chance for true success.

  • Casey Feller – Managing IT Projects with Agile
    This session will provide insights for managing IT Projects within an Agile framework.

Closing Remarks and Door Prizes: 3 - 3:30 p.m.




CS Logo   Medblox Logo   Redstone Logo


2019 Women in IT Hall of Vendors:

Interested in booth space at this year’s event? There are several ways to secure your spot:

  • Provide a door prize of value.
  • Provide swag for attendee bags.
  • Space available for Level 2 or above sponsors
  • Space available for companies providing speakers

Eastern Iowa Community Colleges offers a wide range of Information Technology degrees and classes. Check it out at www.eicc.edu/it