Certified Nurse Aide
Fee: $546 includes textbook *subject to change, $25 Background Check
Purpose: Train individuals in the fundamentals of direct patient care. This is the core program upon which individuals may begin direct patient care and later be prepared to access the multi-level career courses for Certified Nurse Aides.
Nurse Aides learn the following basic skills related to the residents through classroom, lecture, discussion, and clinical experiences with staff:
- Mental Health
- Social Needs
At the conclusion of the class, the participant will be able to:
- Perform 32 skills.
- Understand the psychological, social and physical needs of the elderly living in long term care facilities.
- Know the "Resident's Rights" and how to identify signs of adult abuse and how to report it.
- Know the "Role and Scope of Practice" of the long term care Nurse Aide.
- Be prepared to take the Iowa state exams for the Direct Care Worker Registry.
- Receive certification verifying completion of the Iowa state approved 75-hour Nurse
- Be able to read, write and speak English at the 6th grade level.
- Have proof of TB Mantoux test results within the current year.
- Be 16 years of age. (If in high school, recommendation from counselor encouraged.)
- Have no lifting restrictions.
Upon successful completion of the 75-hour Nurse Aide course, the student will receive a certificate of completion.
The Nurse Aide program is approved by the Iowa Department of Inspections and Appeals for employment in a healthcare facility.