Education Concentration, Associate in Arts Degree
If you're from the Eastern Iowa area, there's a pretty good chance one or more of your teachers started their college education at Eastern Iowa Community Colleges.
That's because our Education Major is one of our most popular transfer majors. Students in the program take the same general education and education-major classes they take during the first two years of college at the four-year institution. It's a great way to save money on tuition those first two years.
Iowa's major universities, area private colleges and others work with us to create signed transfer agreements, meaning your credits easily transfer once you graduate from us. To see all that for yourself just go to our transfer information page.
General Education Requirements for Education
Choose from the General Education Requirements according to your goals and interests and the requirements of your intended transfer institution. The recommended General Education courses for this concentration include the following:
- ENG:105 Composition I, 3 credits
- ENG:106 Composition II, 3 credits
- SPC:112 Public Speaking, 3 credits
- GEO:121 World Regional Geography, 3 credits
- HIS:151 U.S. History to 1877 OR, 3 credits
- HIS:152 U.S. History since 1877, 3 credits
- POL:111 American National Government, 3 credits
- PSY:111 Introduction to Psychology, 3 credits
- Biology lab course, 4 credits
- MAT:110 Math for Liberal Arts OR, 3 credits
- MAT:117 Math for Elementary Teachers*, 3 credits
* Only students majoring in elementary education may select this course option.
Concentration Electives for Education Degree
Education requirements vary depending on the transfer institution. It is important to plan your course selection carefully with both your community college advisor and your intended transfer institution. Choose elective courses as needed to complete the 62 credit hours
- EDU:213 Introduction to Education, 3 credits
- EDU:220 Human Relations for the Classroom, 3 credits
- EDU:245 Exceptional Learner, 3 credits
- EDU:255 Technology in the Classroom, 3 credits
- LIT:105 Children's Literature, 3 credits
- PSY:121 Developmental Psychology, 3 credits
- PSY:222 Child Psychology, 3 credits
- PSY:224 Adolescence Psychology, 3 credits
- PSY:281 Educational Psychology, 3 credits