How to Start
The Eastern Iowa Small Business Development Center cultivates and nurtures entrepreneurs throughout our area. We are in the business of creating business.
Entrepreneurship is a set of skills completely separate from management. Some entrepreneurs possess management skills, but what differentiates them from managers are two very important skills:
- The ability to question and create
- The ability to overcome failure and adapt.
Entrepreneurs are not driven by the resources at hand, they are driven by the idea they want to achieve. Our job is to help them find the resources they need to achieve their ideas.
If you are driven by ambition, willing to work hard and not afraid to try, try again, download our "How to Start" materials and get going! After you have reviewed the materials and completed the "Business Plan Inventory", check out our "Class Listing" link to the left. If you feel you are ready for counseling, complete the "Request for Counseling" form linked below.
- SBDC Business Plan
- Business Plan Inventory
- Business Start-Up Checklist
- SBA Loan Fact Sheet
- SBDC Services
- Small Business Assistance
This page links to PDF files. Use this link to download Adobe Reader if needed.
Request For Counseling Form
This form is intended for people receiving email or phone counseling, or for those who would like to complete the paperwork prior to an in-person counseling session. Clients are responsible for scheduling all appointments. The Eastern Iowa SBDC will not follow-up on form submissions unless you contact us first. For more information about our counseling services, visit our Counseling site.
In order to deliver counseling to our clients, we must collect certain personal, demographic, and business information. You can submit this information in one of three ways:
- Fill out the Request for Counseling ;form electronically (see the link below). Once you submit this form, it will be delivered by email to counselors at the Eastern
Iowa SBDC. Email submission is not secure; we cannot guarantee that this information
will remain confidential while in transit.
- Download the Request for Counseling form (PDF), print and fill it out manually, and either mail or fax it back to us.
- Come by our office and fill out a form prior to meeting with a counselor.
The estimated time it will take to complete this form is approximately 5 minutes. All items marked with an asterisk ( * ) in the form are required fields.
- Electronic Request For Counseling form link.