Iowa Waste Exchange
The Iowa Waste Exchange is a free confidential, and non-regulatory program, actively promoting the reuse and recycling of Iowa business and industry by-products and wastes. This saves resources and landfill space and is economically beneficial to businesses and taxpayers. The Iowa Waste Exchange is a cooperative effort of the Iowa Waste Reduction Center, the Iowa Department of Natural Resources and the Iowa Department of Economic Development.
Mission of the IWE program:
The Iowa Waste Exchange strives to provide Iowa industries with smart waste management alternatives and business assistance services that result in both economic and environmental benefits including waste reduction from Iowa landfills.
Goals of the IWE program:
- To divert the maximum amount of waste from landfills and other disposal sites .
- To help manufacturers save money.
- To get businesses involved in recycling and reuse.
The Iowa Waste Exchange has (since 1990) diverted more than 875,000 new tons of materials from Iowa landfills, resulting in an associated savings to businesses of more than $24.5 million dollars. Program representatives have matched almost 5,700 materials and by-products with reuse or recycling markets.
Local area contact:
Julie Plummer is the Iowa Waste Exchange Area Resource Specialist for the EICC Service area, and also for a portion of the Northeast Iowa Community College service area.
Julie serves these eight counties:
Contact EICC's Iowa Waste Exchange Resource Specialist for help with:
- Identifying your company's waste streams
- Facilitating transfer of those materials by actively searching for markets to reuse or recycle them
- Saving your company money in avoided disposal costs
- Locating valuable secondary materials for potential use in your business, saving your company money on the purchase of new materials.
If you would like to find an IWE contact in another area of the state, search the IWE on-line listing of by-products and wastes available for reuse and recycling, or find more information on the Iowa Waste Exchange program, call RecycleIowa at 1-800-532-1216.